This week on The Allegheny Front, a pipeline is about to go online but sinkholes, mud spills, and gas leaks have people concerned. And, western Pennsylvania is well known for coal and steel, but salt was also once big business. Plus, migrating birds perform a neat trick before they head south. (Photo: Ed Schipul/flickr)
Listen to this episode (29:00):
Stories in this episode
- Pittsburgh, City of Steel…or Salt? - Every Pittsburgher knows steel and coal are part of the city's industrial past, but this area was once a hub for another industry: salt.
- Hiking Back in Time on Ice Mountain - In West Virginia there's a small mountain ridge where rare plant species have existed since the last Ice Age.
- Chimney Swifts Put on a Show Before Fall Migration - “It’s like watching smoke go back down a chimney. It’s amazing.”
- A Very Controversial Pipeline - Sinkholes, mud spills, gas leaks -- there are a lot of reasons to be concerned about the Mariner East pipeline.
- Pipeline Explosion: Part of Line Shut Down During Investigation - Heavy rain is suspected of playing a role, as it did during earlier problems with the pipeline.