This week on The Allegheny Front, a pipeline is about to go online but sinkholes, mud spills, and gas leaks have people concerned. And, western Pennsylvania is well known for coal and steel, but salt was also once big business. Plus, migrating birds perform a neat trick before they head south. (Photo: Ed Schipul/flickr)
Listen to this episode (29:00):
Stories in this episode
- Hiking Back in Time on Ice Mountain - On Ice Mountain in West Virginia, rare plants have existed since the Ice Age and cool air seeps out of ice vents deep in the rocks.
- Chimney Swifts Put on a Show Before Fall Migration - “It’s like watching smoke go back down a chimney. It’s amazing.”
- Pittsburgh, City of Steel…or Salt? - Every Pittsburgher knows steel and coal are part of the city's industrial past, but this area was once a hub for another industry: salt.
- A Very Controversial Pipeline - Sinkholes, mud spills, gas leaks -- there are a lot of reasons to be concerned about the Mariner East pipeline.
- Pipeline Explosion: Part of Line Shut Down During Investigation - Heavy rain is suspected of playing a role, as it did during earlier problems with the pipeline.