How tourism impacts local communities and their natural resources. A call for stricter regulations on handling radioactive oil and gas waste. A network of physicians, researchers, and cancer survivors issues a declaration to reduce pollution so fewer people get cancer. We take a trip to Pennsylvania’s very own prairie.
- Pennsylvania Wilds Optimistic For Economic Rebound As Tourists Travel Closer To Home - In Northern Pennsylvania, a 13-county region known as the Pennsylvania Wilds is using its natural beauty and recreation to grow tourism.
- What Happens When a Hidden Gem Gets Too Popular? - Canaan Valley has become a trendy tourist destination. That's good for business but it's also straining the resources of a county with just one stoplight and 7,000 year-round residents.
- Group Says Tighter Radiation Controls of Drilling Waste Needed - An exemption in federal law leaves patchwork of state laws to protect public and workers.
- FirstEnergy Admits to Defrauding the Public and Bribing Officials - The power company has agreed to a $230 million penalty, in exchange for possible dismissal of the charges.
- A Rare Prairie in Pennsylvania is in Full Bloom Right Now - The prairie, full of about 225 native plants, is at Jennings Environmental Center. A self-guided walk is available through August 2. Don't miss it!