We learn how local organic farmers are getting squeezed by inflation. The author of a new sci-fi book about plastic pollution envisions the region as “Scrappalachia.” Plus, we learn about a common little owl that blends in with its surroundings, but can’t hide its distinctive calls.
- Pitt study: World plastics trade accounts for 350M metric tons of CO2 - Plastic traded between countries has the carbon footprint of a mid-sized European country. By 2050, it will account for 15% of the world's greenhouse gases.
- DEP adjusts proposed methane rule, but critics say it’s not enough - They say the proposal to crack down on VOCs and methane emissions from oil and gas sites is too weak. EPA has proposed tougher rules.
- Local organic farmers face an uncertain 2022 as they battle inflation - The pandemic was good to local organic farms at first, with a bump in demand for their products. Now, with inflation, they're facing an uncertain future.
- New novel imagines a future where all we’re left with is our plastic pollution - Alison Stine’s "Trashlands" depicts a dystopian Appalachia, exploited for its last valuable resource, but also full of ingenuity and resilience.
- Lawmakers vote to stop state’s entrance to cap-and-trade program - Gov. Wolf is likely to veto the measure. The House and Senate would each have 30 calendar days or 10 legislative days–whichever is longer–to try to override it.
- Japanese barberry, a tick magnet, banned in Pennsylvania - Starting in 2023, you won't be able to buy this popular landscaping plant in Pa. It's a nursery for ticks and chokes out native plants.
- Mariner East builder Sunoco agrees to $4M settlement over Marsh Creek Lake spill - The agreement allows Sunoco to resume construction near Marsh Creek Lake State Park in Chester County. The August 2020 spill shutdown part of the lake.
- CNX pleads to criminal charges for misreporting air pollution in Washington County - The company agreed to donate $30,000 to restore part of Chartiers Creek and for township park improvements. It will also donate 184 acres to Allegheny County.